IBus 1.5.15 is now released.
This release has several bug fixes and emoji typing is moved from IBusEngineSimple to IBus Panel.
ibus-1.5.15 is available in Fedora 26.
# dnf update --enablerepo=updates-testing ibus
The same version is also available in Fedora copr for Fedora 25 and 24.
When you type Control-Shift-e key, the emoji typing dialog is launched which I named Emojier.
I continue to enhance the features in git master.
- Control-Shift-e key to launch emoji dialog (1.5.15)
- Right click on panel icon and “Emoji Dialog” menu item to launch emoji dialog (1.5.15)
- Customize the shortcut key to launch emoji dialog with
- Customize the font name and size on emoji dialog with
- Select a language of emoji dictionaries (1.5.15)
- Space, arrow, PageUp/PageDown and Enter keys to select emoji candidates and categories (1.5.15)
- Escape key to cancel emoji candidates, delete emoji annotation, or close emoji dialog (1.5.15)
- Favorite emoji strings can be added in ’emoji-favorites’ key in org.freedesktop.ibus.panel GSettings schema (1.5.15)
ibus emoji command for GNOME desktop (1.5.15)
- arrow and Shift-arrow keys to move the cursor on emoji annotation (master)
- Inherit theme colors on emoji candidate (master)
- Control-f, Control-b, Control-n, Control-p, Control-h, Control-e, Control-a for cursor operations (master)
- Focus on emoji annotation entry by default (master)
Regarding to the ibus build, you can get
npm install -g emojione or Fedora provides
You can get emoji annotation files from https://github.com/fujiwarat/cldr-emoji-annotation or Fedora provides
If you run
./configure --disable-emoji-dict, you need to run
make -C ui/gtk3 maintainer-clean-generic and
make -C tools maintainer-clean-generic to regenerate *.c files from *.vala.
ibus-anthy 1.5.9 is released and it’s now available in Fedora 25 and 24.
# dnf update ibus-anthy
It’s Emoji dictionary is updated for Emoji 3.0 and Unicode 9.0.
I think the translation of Emoji annotation is not unique. E.g. “bicycle” can be “バイク”, “原付”, “スクーター”. So probably we need to think plural forms?
This version also fixes Tab key to enable the predict function.
Are you interested in I18N (internationalization) engineering?
We’re recruiting who is familiar with Linux open source and I18N developments. It’s also great if you’re good at Japanese language.
Click here with detail.
IBus 1.5.14 is now released.
This release has bug fixes for Wayland display, make dist and some of deprecated APIs.
This release also provides a feature of emoji typing which is implemented in any IBus XKB engines in non-GNOME desktop.
- Enable an XKB engine likes “English (US)”.
- Press Ctrl-Shift-e keys.
- Type emoji annotation likes “smile”.
- Press Space key to select an emoji.
- Press Enter key to output the emoji.
I will enhance the UI in the next release and also try to implement in GNOME UI too.
ibus-fbterm 1.0.1 is available now in Fedora 24.
# dnf install --enablerepo=rawhide ibus-fbterm
I have integrated Fedora internal patches in the latest ibus-fbterm.
The enhanced ibus-fbterm has the several features to work with IBus 1.5:
- Show pre-edit text of input method.
- Show lookup table of input method.
- Bind Super-space to switch IBus IMEs(input method engines).
- Show IME switcher window.
- Run ‘loadkeys’ command to set XKB.
The man page explains with detail.
You also needs to install ibus and any input method engines likes ibus-anthy.
- Run ibus-setup, select “Input Method” tab and configure the IBus input method engines on GUI before go to the console
- Reboot the system
- Enter ‘e’ to edit the Grub line
- Add ‘vga=ask 3’ at the end of the line of “…vmlinuz…” and type Ctrl-x 
- Type Enter and show the video modes and type a vide mode and Enter 
- Log into the console with the permission to modify the frame buffer
- Run ibus-fbterm
- Confirm the configured IBus input method engines with ‘gsettings’ command:
# gsettings get org.freedesktop.ibus.general preload-engines
- Super+space can switch the first two engines and Super+space+space can show the engine list and Enter key can enable the selected engine on the engine list 
- Now you can use the selected IBus engine
ibus-fbterm runs ‘loadkeys’ command to set XKB layout. If you enable ‘xkb:us::eng’ engine, ibus-fbterm runs ‘loadkeys us’.
Typing ‘exit’ can exit the ibus-fbterm.
ibus-fbterm does not use fbterm protocol so that fbterm does not bind Contrl+space and ibus-fbterm does not have the private headers and codes from fbterm. And ibus-fbterm has a limitation with modifiers keys.
I confirmed Super-space and Control-space works fine with ibus-fbterm but other modifiers keys do not work.
I added a workaround if type Escape key, it could bind Shift key. E.g. Escape and space key can generate Shift-space key.
Unfortunately Grub console does not change the keymaps on console and I filed a bug.
 The latest Fedora does not enable the frame buffer by default and ‘vga=ask’ can call the VGA setup dialog.
 Need a 32bit video mode for the frame buffer. E.g. 1024x768x32
 VT mode cannot handle modifiers keys so use Enter key instead of key release.
ibus-anthy 1.5.8 is now released, which is available in Fedora 22 or later.
# dnf update --enablerepo=updates-testing ibus-anthy
This release updates the Emoji dictionary and add the Emoji Variation Selectors.
E.g. variation selector emoji presentation (VS16):
Convert “えんびつ” and “からー” with Emoji dictionary, then ‘✎️’ (U+270E and U+FE0F) can be output.
E.g. variation selector text presentation (VS15):
Convert “えんぴつ” and “てきすと” with Emoji dictionary, then “✎︎” (U+270E and U+FE0E) can be output.
Here is the release note.
IBus 1.5.12 is now released and a bug fix release.
The major change is to fix the coordinate of the IME lookup window and IBus property panel when dual monitors are used.
IBus XKB engines, aka ibus-engine-simple, now uses ISO 639-1 language codes instead of ISO 639-2 ones for the size of panel icons.
Here is the release note and download site.