ibus-fbterm 1.0.1 is available now in Fedora 24.
# dnf install --enablerepo=rawhide ibus-fbterm
I have integrated Fedora internal patches in the latest ibus-fbterm.
The enhanced ibus-fbterm has the several features to work with IBus 1.5:
- Show pre-edit text of input method.
- Show lookup table of input method.
- Bind Super-space to switch IBus IMEs(input method engines).
- Show IME switcher window.
- Run ‘loadkeys’ command to set XKB.
The man page explains with detail.
You also needs to install ibus and any input method engines likes ibus-anthy.
- Run ibus-setup, select “Input Method” tab and configure the IBus input method engines on GUI before go to the console
- Reboot the system
- Enter ‘e’ to edit the Grub line
- Add ‘vga=ask 3’ at the end of the line of “…vmlinuz…” and type Ctrl-x 
- Type Enter and show the video modes and type a vide mode and Enter 
- Log into the console with the permission to modify the frame buffer
- Run ibus-fbterm
- Confirm the configured IBus input method engines with ‘gsettings’ command:
# gsettings get org.freedesktop.ibus.general preload-engines
- Super+space can switch the first two engines and Super+space+space can show the engine list and Enter key can enable the selected engine on the engine list 
- Now you can use the selected IBus engine
ibus-fbterm runs ‘loadkeys’ command to set XKB layout. If you enable ‘xkb:us::eng’ engine, ibus-fbterm runs ‘loadkeys us’.
Typing ‘exit’ can exit the ibus-fbterm.
ibus-fbterm does not use fbterm protocol so that fbterm does not bind Contrl+space and ibus-fbterm does not have the private headers and codes from fbterm. And ibus-fbterm has a limitation with modifiers keys.
I confirmed Super-space and Control-space works fine with ibus-fbterm but other modifiers keys do not work.
I added a workaround if type Escape key, it could bind Shift key. E.g. Escape and space key can generate Shift-space key.
Unfortunately Grub console does not change the keymaps on console and I filed a bug.
 The latest Fedora does not enable the frame buffer by default and ‘vga=ask’ can call the VGA setup dialog.
 Need a 32bit video mode for the frame buffer. E.g. 1024x768x32
 VT mode cannot handle modifiers keys so use Enter key instead of key release.